Saturday, October 6, 2012

Second Wind



Well, I'm back. It has been a busy year. The large landmarks are writing a book, a month teaching in Australia, attending the Festival of Quilts and visiting the Victoria and Albert Museum. In September I had three teaching jobs. This quilter needed some quiet time. Plus autumn is a natural season for reflection.


This fall has been particularly sublime. The colors are exceptional and the mood changes by the hour. Greg has been covering the plants for the past two nights and yesterday he harvested the remaining peppers and tomatoes. Our kitchen counter is overwhelmed... so chili for supper tonight.


For a little extra excitement our furnace has died, so we have electric heaters running and are waiting for the repairman to get back from vacation. It's almost like camping out. My studio is still cozy, though, so no progress will be interrupted here.


I have been steadily adding quilted leaves to my quilt. I can do a row a day, both sewing and burying threads. Just five more rows to go. This is very therapeutic for a quiet quilter, who is easily overwhelmed by too much chatter and activity. So I'm beginning to resurface for the finishing events of the year.

I am anxious to get back to work, so I'll leave you with some more nice photos taken this week. And I promise to be more communicative in the future.



















3 comments:

LuLu said...

Howdy Jane,
Hope you are all well!

Happy Belated Birthday! Dave took the whole week off to spend with me for my birthday!

Lovely photos and congrats on your Australian gig. Hope your furnace gets fixed soon - but your dstill studio looks great.

Today I went to an annual quilt show in Crete IL. Spent 2 hours examining spectacular quilts - and I was overwhelmed and exhausted.

There were 2 crazy quilts by one woman that were all hand-embroidered and hand-quilted. Evelyn Lopez - and I met her!

I can't wait to start sewing - hopefully next year.

Oh, I also just got my 2nd commission - my 1st scrapbook order, for a Paris vacation!

Say hi to all!

Peace,
Mary Lou
www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful post Jane. Enjoy your peace and quilting. See you at fall market?

kateuk said...

Autumn coming slowly here too- colours changing gradually, some really intense ones too-well, intense by UK standards, nothing like as bright as yours!Lovely photos- that sharp seed pod is so elegant.